Random and infrequent updates from the good Korea.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Go climb a mountain!

So, I had a big weekend. Avalon school, the place where I work, held a big ol' corporate hiking trip slash workshop. Get up far too early and go climb a mountain in the name of communication. Well, I'm not new to this place, so I dreaded what was about to happen. Imagine 200 people, 90% of whom are Korean. Now picture it all held in Korean with no translation. That's what I got. Tons of team building BS in a language I don't really know. You might feel kind of left out, right? Yeah, right. That part kind of sucked. Koreans have plenty of energy for cheers and jumping and especially crouching down a lot. Go figure. But the actual hiking, well that was technically I believe a bitch, but not too bad. One of those hikes that doesn't end. Reach the top, go down and then back up. Hour after hour.
But it's Korea, it's busy, it's packed. Shitloads of people. Imagine your typical line for a movie or the DMV and transpose that to a mountain. Narrow trail. Someone on your ass. Move, move, move. Aside from the pacing and the never ending feel, it was alright. Not really too hard, not bad on the heart. All in all a nice hike. Only it's been three days and I still see Koreans at work limping like they just got off the mountain. Wow, and I thought I was out of shape. Sure I broke a sweat, but I never had to stop to keep from passing out. So I guess I feel okay. I earned some good will from the company and about 75% of the trip was good for me. Just not the craptastic team building garbage. Sorry, but how can you build a team when you all don't share a language?
So until someone else drags me up a mountain, I think I'm done exercising.
And....I'm spent.

No comments: